5.12.2010

Am I always behind??

I have recovered from what became a horrible cough and sinus infection AND my sprained ankle...but missing three days of work means I am playing catch up, and the way things are going I am not going to get caught up before the end of the quarter.

Awhile ago I started the next round of the Old Red Barn Co Quilt Along. I haven't participated since the first one, and this time it's hexagons which I haven't done before.

I diligently followed along the first week, and came up with this:


Uh oh. Those six triangle should make a hexagon. Apparently not all 60 degree triangles are created equally.

So it took me a bit, but I got a new ruler, cut the triangles down so they were truly 60 degrees, and added a strip of fabric to the bottoms so the triangles are the right height.


And now I am only three weeks behind!

But to cheer me up, this came in the mail!


Isn't it GORGEOUS?!?! This was the pay it forward from Lynz!! I had admired this pillow when she posted it with no idea it would show up at my house! Thanks, Lynz!!

And I'll post again soon to share our Mother's Day, but I will preview that post by showing you these Dahlia brooches I made.


I started with this tutorial, but instead of gluing all the petals I hand sewed them. I think it was much faster than waiting for all that glue to dry!

10 comments:

Molly said...

Those hexagons are so cool! I guess it was providential that you cut them wrong the first time. Now you're going to have an extra fine quilt!!

Anonymous said...

Looks like you were heading for a septagon (if that's the appropriate geometric term.) Lucky you got a new ruler - the hexagon quilt looks lovely!

~Michelle~ said...

I think I like your hexies better w/3 strips of fabric! And holy crow, that cathedral pillow is AWESOME! The circles made by the cathedrals are perfect!

Lynz said...

You're welcome, Beth! And I'm glad you're feeling better. xox

Rebekah said...

I'm drooling over your dahlia pins! I wanted to make some but didn't want to wait for the glue to dry. I think I'll try sewing them (my mom was hinting at wanting one big time)

jessica said...

The dahlia pins are gorgeous! I love how much dimension they have. Great idea to just sew them.

American Quilter's Society said...

Great work! Can't wait to read more from you.

www.aqsquiltnews.blogspot.com

The WoodLand School said...

What a great idea to hand-sew the dahlia pins! I tried doing some Japanese fabric flower folding and ended up coated in glue with a bunch of wadded up material stuck to my arms. 'Cause that's how I roll, you know!

Related Posts with Thumbnails