4.14.2011

Hoop Up Round 2

I featured the embroideries I received in round 2 of Hoop Up here, but I never showed you what I made.

Theme: Quirky Creatures


I really wanted to do a squid for this one, and Dawn wanted it done in a monochromatic palette with charcoal. My favorite part was doing the French knot suckers.

Theme: Baby Girl Likes


This theme had a bit of 80s flair, which I was all over! June suggested rainbows, unicorns, cupcakes, princesses, etc. I dug out a piece of old stationary (which might have been my sister's, sorry Jen) and used it as inspiration.

Theme: Will Farrell Quotes


Anna Joy's husband is a big Will Farrell fan, so she requested a quote from one of his films with an image of him from that film. This one had me a bit apprehensive, but I ended up having such a good time researching and making this! I came up with a pretty good technique for taking a photo and altering it so I could trace it. I'm thinking this will come in handy for the 80s swap I just joined! The quote/image is from Blades of Glory. I had trouble deciding, but the other quote I was leaning toward is not necessarily safe for family! I can imagine that the quote I chose will bring up some uncomfortable topics anyway... ;-)

And I got one more piece to add to the mix. This beauty is by June, and is even more stunning in person.


I rearranged the hoops to make room, and now I am thinking I need to do one or two more in 4" hoops. Still deciding.


Maybe a small one on the teal linen?

8 comments:

MJ said...

It is hard to decide which one is my favorite! It was a tough decision but I think I like the retro 1980s balloons because I like how you stitched their strings & made a rainbow. Well-done!

Dee said...

Oh my! I love, love the tentacles and the mermaid is just awesome!

Wow!

Thimbleanna said...

Wow -- this looks like a tough group to belong to! You do some beautiful stitching though!

marcy harriell | oonaballoona said...

are you kidding me with these?

will ferrell?? squiggly sea creatures?

i would so trade you a painting for something like this. you know, or name a firstborn after you.

jmb_craftypickle said...

that last porthole.... so dreamy. I love it! I am getting mine all hooped up and ready to hang (hopefully they will be up tomorrow!)

Beth said...

Whoa, all are so pretty! I love the 80's ish hoop, the rainbow turned out great! You Will Fareel is pretty remarkable as well, I think it would be quite difficult stitching a person!

Mama Bear said...

These are all equally awesome. I'm partial to the 80's themed hoop because that's when I was made.

Another teal hoop would even things out on that wall and give you an excuse to sew something cute.

Related Posts with Thumbnails