1.07.2009

First of the year

I've been feeling a lot of pressure, what with all of the "first completed project of the year" posts around the blogisphere (and second, and third). I finally made it on the board!

Yes, my photo styling includes taping the bag to the chair. What of it?


I was inspired by that pattern from grandma's purse, but itching to make some more changes. I also wanted to break into the scraps my sister got me for Christmas, and I wanted to start sewing -- no waiting for fabric orders or trips to the store. I coordinated some of the scraps, used a gold-tone magnetic closure, but only had silver tone strap hardware (and I really wanted to add some bling, as plain as it is, on the strap), and used a charcoal gray zipper on the interior pocket. But it's what I had on hand! I did have to purchase some fabric for the lining -- the only thing I had that was even close to matching was unbleached muslin. I just ran in to JoAnn's and got the first thing that matched. I like this whole impetuous sewing thing -- so unlike me! I also like that this is such a different look for me, not my usual at all.


Here is my dilemma -- while I love the shape and size of the bag, and the strap length -- I have nothing that matches this bag, and I don't really need another purse. What do I do with it? Because of my impulsive sewing on this one I don't want to sell it (and the topstitching is wonky -- I cannot get used to not having a free arm). Ideas?

I survived the first two days of school. I'm glad Wednesdays are my day home with Jaxon -- this is what it looks like from our back door.

13 comments:

~Michelle~ said...

I say who cares? if it doesn't match anything... if you like it, just use it casually. AND everyone needs another purse - of course!! Actually, you could just give it to your sis, so she has something with the scraps she gave you.

The WoodLand School said...

This bag is just darling! I wouldn't worry about it not matching anything ... surely it goes with jeans and a sweater!

PS: There is no. such. thing. as "too many" purses!

: )

Rachel said...

Hi Beth, I'm your partner for the fat quarter swap so just wanted to pop in and say hello! (I did try emailing but it got sent back to me for some reason). Anyway, looking forward to getting to know you a little, you can find me at
http://contented.typepad.co.uk
Rachel x

Thimbleanna said...

Very cute Beth! Everything goes with jeans -- just use it for a casual outfit!

susan said...

first, love the photo styling comment, i got a nice little chuckle out of that.
second, how 'bout a giveaway???
:o)

Molly said...

Well you've got me because I haven't made anything yet this year. I did bind a quilt, and quilt about 10. I really love your icy photo by the way.

Unknown said...

And there was me moaning about 3mm of snowy kind of ice stuff on the grass (more like a frost than REAL snow or ice)

That photo styling you've got going on is quality! lovin' it! And I am sure that purse will look great when the ice melts. Imagine yourself, it's spring (maybe summer) you're strutting around town, nicely tanned, jeans and flip flops, a little tee - pretty purse on your arm. Some kind snazzy music following you everywhere. Go on, shake your hair about, wiggle that booty as you walk. Am I getting carried away? Quite possibly....

Anonymous said...

I think the bag is stunning and surely you can find someone to give it to as a gift?? Or donate it to a blog charity thingy? or just wear it anyway and dont worry about co-ordination!! =]

MJ said...

Great purse! If it just doesn't meet your taste (& I think it would go swell with jeans), how about a give-away? A donation to a local daycare or preschool? Perhaps a silent auction?

Three Chicks Vintage said...

The tape is a great touch! Very spur-of-the-moment just like the bag. Why don't you make a gift of the bag to your sister who gave you the scraps?
Deb

Anonymous said...

Buy a whole new outfit just to match the bag. Go on, you know you want to...

Deb said...

I think it should come live at my house = ) I love it!!!

p.s. I found you via Flicker

Related Posts with Thumbnails