3.03.2010

The Myth of Fingerprints

If someone asks you to oversee the quarters to semesters transition for a school, just say no. Better yet, kick that someone in the shins, and then just say no.

Equally frustrating has been my attempt at a new camera bag.

I selected some fabric (Meadowsweet by Sandi Henderson).

I found a pattern I thought I could adapt into what I want (The Miranda Mailbag by Serendipity Studio).

HilarityProfanity ensued.

From the picture, I thought I would be making a patchwork bag. Not so. You sew strips and then weave them, making a change in the dimensions of the bag a little more difficult. I couldn't quite wrap my head around the instructions so I thought I would make a trial version before cutting into my precious half yards of Meadowsweet.

So from my stash, I came up with this...


I decided to use handles rather than make straps -- the straps are topstitched to the bag which I thought concealed the most interesting thing about it -- the weaving.

My bag is supposed to be the large handbag (pattern also includes small handbag, small tote and large tote), but I could not get my sides to be the correct size after weaving. The pattern calls for a separating zipper which I thought meant the top would open like a doctor's bag. Not so -- in fact you are supposed to glue the end of the zipper together so it no longer separates (instead buy a regular zipper, and follow this tutorial for separating).


As for the title of the post -- well, my fingerprints are no longer. To assemble the bag, you bind the ends like a quilt, stitching one side of the binding to the small, circular ends of the bag and then handstitching to the other side. Imagine me JAMMING this heavily-interfaced, stiff bag through my machine, pricking my fingers every three seconds. OUCH!

Thus, I won't be making this pattern again for a Meadowsweet camera bag. I'll be trying something different. But I do think this one is cute, and I'll carry it...


So, I offer up the pattern to one of you, dear friends! The first to comment and promise to make the bag within three months and report back her/his experience gets this pattern!

Also, Jaxon's preschool is participating in the Flat Stanley project. Jaxon and his classmates decorated paper "Stanleys" that we've been asked to send to friends we know in different locations, asking that they send back a photo of Stanley during his visit or a postcard so the kids can plot Stanley's trip on a map.

I volunteered to take a few Stanleys and see if my blog friends are interested in participating. I will send you a Stanley, and you just need to send a photo of Stanley (or a postcard) that the preschoolers will enjoy (you can even email me a digital photo and I will print it for you!!) and then send Stanley on to someone you know who lives somewhere else. Any takers? Look how cute he is. How can you say no?

21 comments:

Jackie's Stitches said...

The bag is cute but it does seem the construction could be improved. I'd rather have patchwork in lieu of weaving as well. I hope you find the perfect camera bag to make - and share it with us! :)

Ellen said...

Cute bag! And I'd love to try it for you! Also, if Stanley needs to come to Texas, we'd love to show him the sights!

Jennifer S. said...

I think that my 3 year old would love showing Stanley around California! I've never heard of this before - sounds cool!
If you want to send us a Stanley email me at jenn@jenniferbarkerstevenson.com

Everything Is Better Tinted Purple said...

The bag is adorable!

We would be happy to host Stanley here in Germany if he would like to visit

thehummingcat said...

Stanley is welcome to come to our place, we live near the beach in Australia.

Purple Paisley Patch said...

I'm not sure where The Humming Cat lives, but I live in Brisbane, Queensland, so Stanley could head here after The Humming Cat's place. In fact, I think we could organise to send him around Australia to a few other Aussie bloggers.

If you had trouble with the bag pattern, PLEASE DON'T send it to me. ;-)

Thimbleanna said...

WOW!!! Look at those fantastic offers for Stanley! Makes my boring little midwest offer sound pitiful! Your bag is cute, but it doesn't sound like it was much fun to make LOL!

Anna said...

If Stanley would like to visit Nebraska - send him my way!

And the bag? Sounds like WAY too much work for this girl!

QuiltyBee said...

Stanley could go to Nebraska and then visit Iowa! Lovely bag--glad it's yours. :)

~Michelle~ said...

Well, I know I won't make that bag. You have officially scared me off! But if Stanley wants to visit LA, that would be OK w/me!

Unknown said...

I could use a camera bag, I never thought to make one. I'm afraid I probably couldn't have it done in three months though. I might search for another pattern and try it.

Molly said...

First off - I love the bag. Second - the quarters to semester transition is terrible. I lived through it as a college student, and hated it.

Rebekah said...

The bag looks great now, but I'm sorry that it tormented you so much while you made it!

I'm not jealous of your school transition at all...that sounds like a lot of work and a lot of headaches!

pinajean said...

Nana and Pops will gladly have Flat Stanley for a visit and promise that unlike Jaxon, FS will not learn bad words from Pops!

Warm Your Head said...

If Stanely would like to spend some time in our guest house in LA/Burbank, feel free to send!

jessica said...

Happy to see you had a taker already for the bag pattern. I'm making a dress today that I made a mistake on and I'm already frustrated! Glad you didn't use your good stuff!

Beth said...

well, i would offer up a trip to the miswest for stanley, but its not very exciting, or far!
that bag seems like it was a headache beyond belief. i was confused just reading what you said you were suppose to be doing! your bag looks great though! i still need to make myself a camera bag too!

Deb Robertson Writes said...

I think Stanley really needs to come to New Zealand, yes he does. He could have a lot of fun here. Hopefully it would be the furtherest he would travel!! If you contact me I'll send you my address and he can start his journeys!

Anonymous said...

Happy to host Flat Stanley in Adelaide, South Australia if he is still travelling :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails