9.30.2007

Complete!

ed. note -- I wrote this last night, but Blogger wouldn't let me upload pictures. ARGH!

I sent off the swap quilt yesterday. Here it is, mistakes and all!




And speaking of mistakes...

I wanted to make Jaxon a Halloween blanket, something quick that I could make in a couple of hours. I did patchwork on one side and flannel on the other. Usually I would simply topstitch around the edges, but for some reason I wanted to try satin binding. I thought black satin would look kind of funky on a Halloween blanket and I had been wanting to try it anyway.

I forgot how much I hate sewing with slippery fabric. I tried to miter the corners using pleats. Yeah, that didn't go well. The directions said to "Fold blanket binding around corner so that a neatly mitered pleat is formed on the top and bottom at the corner and pin." Easier said then done. And of course once I spent an hour pinning them to perfection it all shifted in the sewing machine.

Here is the best corner:


And here is the worst:


And here is the blanket. I must admit, I do like how the binding looks (from afar).




It needs to be washed so Jaxon hasn't played with it yet, so in lieu of a picture of that, here is a picture of him with one of his favorite toys -- a fly swatter. Don't worry, it's never been used for swattin' flies.

4 comments:

Thimbleanna said...

Very cute little Halloween quilt -- I love the satin binding too!

Anonymous said...

i think it's way cute - even if things didn't go as planned. i was reading through some of your posts - what do you teach?

Molly said...

I can't get over how cute that turkey fabric is! Any idea where I can pick some up? I am trying to build up my holiday decorations for my kids sake, and I definately don't have anything that fun for Thanksgiving.

Related Posts with Thumbnails