1.03.2010

Back to the Grind

We've spent the last two weeks avoiding the cold and celebrating with family. I've had a lot of work to do over our winter break, and that certainly didn't let up over the holidays, but I made time to enjoy family and FOOD!

I finished Charlie's Christmas present YESTERDAY. I'm still counting it as a 2009 finish, all I've had to do to finish it since Christmas was hand stitching the binding (which, by the way I love...it's some random Christmas print from my LQS with a navy background and silver and blue dots in the EXACT colors I needed). I just pulled it out of the dryer, so I will get some full length photos when Charlie's home to help...



...and besides finishing up Christmas presents and teaching myself Javascript, we spent some time at the library:

From the top: Seven Professors, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The Girl who Played with Fire, Patchwork Style, Sew Darn Cute, Snow, Hooray for Snow!, Material Obsession, The Room Outside


I've resolved not to buy any more sewing books before previewing them. I have many on my shelf that I've never used, thinking based on online reviews I would like them. Material Obsession is a must buy. In fact I already have! I am counting The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo as my first finish of 2010. I really finished it New Year's Eve, but it was very good and I would like to have it hang around on my sidebar list for awhile.

Also, I've been playing with my Christmas gifts, like this and this, and...



Now you might wonder how I've been playing with a sewing machine travel case...but you're forgetting that it is the perfect size for a three year old. Anything on casters + hardwood floors = happy child. I have to say that I am very impressed with JoAnn's customer service. Charlie bought this for me through their website and the day after Christmas it was marked down 40%. I called their customer service hotline and they reimbursed me for the difference. Good thing Charlie puts off shopping for Christmas -- they will only do a price adjustment within 7 days of shipping.

Speaking of JoAnn, I received a couple of gift cards for Christmas and I wanted to take advantage of their after Christmas sale. I couldn't decide what to get -- my Gingher's are out of balance and I can't find anyone to fix them, and I've also been wanting another rotary cutter to keep a pinking blade in. Everything I was interested in was on sale -- so I ended up with a new pair of Gingher's (in PLAID!), a rotary set with a 45 mm cutter and an 18 mm cutter as well as a small mat, an extra large yo yo maker, and "Material Obsession." All for less then my gift cards -- although I forgot the pinking blade for the cutter...

And now my scissor drawer looks like this:

Yay!

8 comments:

luv2quilt2 said...

Maybe that's what I need - a scissor drawer. Maybe then I could keep track of them...probably not. I guess it's just not in me to get my sewing stuff organized.

Jackie's Stitches said...

You're going to love your Tutto! It's a fantastic case for a traveling sewing machine.

I picked up a couple of extra rotary cutters too after Christmas. I want to have my Tutto packed with the things I'll need for class so I don't have to do much more than add my machine.

Happy New Year!

Kathy said...

I'm making the same resolution about sewing/quilting books. But I did order Material Obsession 2 sight unseen because I couldn't find it anywhere locally. Buy it! It's even better than the first one.

Thimbleanna said...

Ooooh, you got some great goodies! I'm so with you on the sewing books resolution -- I've been terribly disappointed over several books that I bought based on blog recommendations -- one in particular was so hyped I thought I couldn't go wrong. Wrong! I also have to agree with you on the Material Obsession books -- I can't wait to get the second one!

Beth said...

oh, that quilt is great! and of course thats a 1009 project :) Ilove how you have your scissors in a drawer, mine are all in a jar in my table.. i may need to do some reorganizing!

The Budget Babe said...

my nephew would LOVE to own a quilt like that! what a fantastic accomplishment.

School Street Primitives said...

Ginghers will repair your scissors... go to Gingher.com and get the address. Mail them in their box if you have one, and they come back to you good as new!

Related Posts with Thumbnails