1.31.2010

Home Run!

LAST YEAR (it sounds dramatic, even though it was only a month ago), Courtney and I did a baseball-themed doll quilt swap. I forgot to share!

I made my first dresden plate and my first round quilt:





And Courtney "hit one out of the park" (wink wink):




The backing is the softest corduroy and has me wanting to back a full size quilt in it. So snuggly!

Also, I've done a little blog update -- now that the auction is over I've removed all the Scrappy Holiday Block Swap stuff (a little sad, as it has been a part of the blog for six months!!), and added a WIPs list. These are all projects that I started last year (or before!!) and have resolved to finish this year!! I've also updated the "Books Read in 2010" list. My grand total for January is four, enjoyable reads all. I've mentioned The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, and The Girl Who Played with Fire was a worthy sequel, even though it was slow to start. I look forward to the last book in the trilogy, The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest, due out in May. The 7 Professors of the Far North was an impulse borrow from the library, simply because it had "professor" in the title and I liked the cover -- how's that for shallow! It's a kids book with little character development, but the story's rather grand and very interesting. And finally, I read The Bright Side of Disaster in just a few days. It would make a great beach read -- not too deep, a little
predictable, but with interesting, realistic characters.

Next up...I found a kid's book at the library by Carl Hiaasen. I had no idea. And I am trying to decide if I want to read the next book in the Wheel of Time series, or just wait for the last book and read them all together. It has been 14 years since I started the series. I also need to pick up the next in the Outlander series.

To continue this stream-of-consciousness post, I came across this this week. EEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKK!!!!! Heather Ross is teaching a fabric design class?!?!?!?!!?!? HEATHER ROSS. Deep breaths. Other bloggers immediately signed up. The class itself, while a chunk of change, might be doable -- but getting across the country might be harder. As Amy points out, you can cancel up to a week before and get a refund (minus $25) so it's almost worth it to make sure you have a place in the class. Anybody have some frequent flyer miles going to waste?!?!?!?

But I guess I could stay home and comfort myself with my new toy.
BAM! It's fabulous. That's red camera's grandfather looking on in jealousy.

10 comments:

The WoodLand School said...

I'm soooooo behind in blog posts ... but I have your baseball quilt right where I can look at it every minute of every day!

I just started Outlander on Thursday ... it's so engrossing! I'm almost scared to continue ... for fear of neglecting my home and family while I read all the books in the series :-)

Jackie's Stitches said...

I love your baseball quilt! The back is just as cute as the front. How was binding it?

Your swap quilt is so cute too!

I've not read any of the books in the Wheel of Time series so I'm going to check those out. I read a couple of the Outlander books years ago and really enjoyed them. I need to start all over and read the series from start to finish.

Chelsea said...

Don't feel bad - I totally pick out books based on their cover too. Suprisingly, this method has yet to let me down. Although some of my very favorites have quite ugly covers

~Michelle~ said...

Ooh, I love the circle quilt! Nice job :) And I like the red camera - I saw one last weekend @ Disneyland and wondered about it (the dude wearing it around his neck looked a little out of sorts though - I know you have the right amount of panache to pull it off though).

Thimbleanna said...

Those baseball quilts are FABULOUS! I LOVE LOVE that round one -- I wish you'd been around when I wanted to make a quilt for my boys' baseball coach! And WooHoo for the new camera!!!

Amy said...

Sign up! Sign up!! :) Terri (from Terri's Notebook) has signed up now as well. I found the Denyse Schmidt class so inspiring, just to be in a room with a bunch of great, supportive people, sewing for a couple of days. I hope you find out a way to make it!

MJ said...

Oh, I have been neglecting my quilting! I'm so close to finishing 2 Advent calendars and I just... can't... do... it.... I really just want a new project!

I used to love the Gabaldron books and now just can't read them.

Is there something wrong with me? LOL!

Related Posts with Thumbnails