12.07.2010

Christmas Tree!

A little break from the quick gifts posts...to put up our Christmas tree!

We always put up the vintage aluminum tree, but before Jaxon was born we used to have a live tree as well. Then Jaxon became a human tornado and we decided to forgo the live tree for a couple of years. Now we are back to the tradition of visiting our local tree farm! If you have never been to a tree farm there are a few things you should know:

It's helpful if you have a snowfall a day or two in advance, even if it mostly melts off.


This helps with anticipation.

When you arrive at the tree farm they most likely have different varieties to choose from.


We somehow always choose the variety that's grown the farthest away.

Select a tree cart, and make sure it is sturdy enough to hold your tree.


If it can pull a four year old you are probably fine.

It might be chilly this time of year, so be prepared to keep warm.


But maybe not by laying in a trench. Even if you are pretending to be a mouse.

Once you find your tree, carefully cut it down.


A helper can be, well, helpful.

Once you've felled your tree, place it on the cart and steer toward the baler.


A traffic director might be necessary.

The helpful attendant will put your tree on a shaker to get out the loose needles, and then send it through a baler.


Then you can throw on the car and go home!


And if you are as lucky as I am, you'll get the tree up and then spend your time cleaning up regurgitated pine needle (STUPID CAT).

I also finally got the table topper hung, yay! It's the perfect size for this wall (that I have never known what to do with because the thermostat is right in the middle), yay!



And a little sneak peek of something to come....

8 comments:

~Michelle~ said...

Oh Jaxon! Looks like he had a good time! I've never really had a real tree in my house... we had one once when I was a kid and it got tipped over (the cat, perhaps?) and stained the carpet, so never again! And clearly, there are no tree farms in LA... ah well! And you might not believe this, but I've already cleaned up fake pine needle vomit from our cat - so it goes both ways, they don't seem to mind the fake trees! ;)

Can't wait to see what you end up with the crazy hair chick!

Jackie's Stitches said...

How wonderful that you had snow! It's so beautiful!

Not much in the way of tree farms in Florida. We almost always put up a fake tree. Between my addiction to too many lights and my husbands problem with wayward needles, a pre-lit tree goes a long way to keeping things peaceful. I so miss the smell of a fresh tree though!

FerJeniB said...

Sniff Sniff Wail Wail! I'm missing Christmas at your house the year you have a real tree...oh wait, I'll be in Hawaii...still maybe I can find a pine-scented palm tree. Marcelo is insisting on an Ohio Christmas next year with Jaxon. His conversion to a Buckeye is almost complete! Thanks again for the new glasses pocket! I used it today. Worked like a charm. Hugs - Jen

Janie said...

I love real trees! We never got to have one because of my asthmatic brothers. My mom still puts up this classy fake tree. When I get a real place, I want to buy a real one. For now, I'll stick with my Charlie Brown tree.

MJ said...

I could smell the scent of pine tree until it got distorted by the regurgitated pine needles! Eek! I had no idea cats did that!

Enjoy your tree (and hopefully your cat has learnt its lesson!)

Thimbleanna said...

Ha! It looks like you had a wonderful time! Jaxon looks so cute and the tree is beautiful. The wallhanging looks perfect!

Anonymous said...

I can't imagine how wrongly that pine tree dragging could have gone without Jaxon there to offer directions! Funny little fellow.

April (Polkadot Sparrow) said...

What a great tutorial on going to a tree farm! Pretending to be a mouse seems like a very important step. ;)

Related Posts with Thumbnails