8.16.2009

Block Engorgement

So I thought my plan for constructing my swap blocks was so clever....then I started sewing blocks. My first block was 13.5" instead of 12.5". "Just cut down your 2" strips as you add them," I thought, and patted myself on the back for continual cleverness. My next block had an odd–sized center, so I added a ring of 2" strips and then squared it off. "I am a piecing master," I thought. Then I added my rings, but forgot to trim down my next 2" ring. Whoops. That one ended up being 13". HMMM...."Well, the next one should be perfect," thought the piecing master.

Then I proceeded to sew two more blocks while never once trimming down my 2" strips. I have 4 blocks that are all too big. What do you think? Should I trim them down to 12.5", or leave them as is in case my teammates would like larger blocks? This week's inspiration post might yield some "bigger block" projects. HMMMM....

Well, regardless, here are the first four. I separated my strips into three color families, and this is from my aqua and pink family. I guess anal retentive-ness and truly scrappy quilting isn't an easily marriage!


I received four charity blocks yesterday: one each from Dawn and Anna, and two from Kyra. Thanks! And if you haven't been by the Flickr group lately, there are some great blocks in the group pool!

I've heard from a handful of you that you've already shipped your blocks, but only one of you has received so far. Please let me know when you have both shipped and received so I can make sure everyone gets their blocks. And if you'd like to email your group to let them know blocks are coming, all your teammates' email addresses are in the team email (look in the "to" field).

And it looks like I need to put one more group together. There was a miscommunication between me and a participant, but it looks like she wants to take part and has even started her blocks! Anyone up for 6 blocks?

14 comments:

The WoodLand School said...

Glad I'm not the only one who has wonky-sized blocks! It has been a few humbling days of math (or block-sizing) ineptitude around here.

I'd say it's better to send blocks that are too big than too small.

I *love* the pink and aqua combo!!!

Unknown said...

Oh, you are a piecing master of the same school as me.
I was very smugly thinking 'I'm so clever' whilst making my blocks, but I've had to 'tweak' them a little bit to make them 12.5 inches.

My first group of blocks has gone out, set 2 will go out this week. I just have the last ring to sew onto each one.
I love the blocks you've made - those pinks and aquas are wonderful.

audreypawdrey said...

i love the color combination! I think you could send them out as they are and they can be cut down or used as they are. I had to make my outer ring of fabric 2" wide (with all the other measurements from the pattern) to get mine to 12.5. Now i am worried that I don't have enough color variation...

annette said...

let me know if you still need another person - i'd be happy to make 6 blocks.

Betsy said...

I received a block from Natalia. I am shipping my blocks out on Saturday 8/22

Nicole said...

I had similar results on my first set. I cut them to 12.5. but now I wonder should my next set be the same?? or should I make sure they have the nice thick outer block? I am thinking that as long as you keep a pretty consistent seam allowance, doing just the outer ring at 2 inches would fix any small sizing issues. *sigh* Good thing this is for "scrappy" blocks! :)

Nicole said...

Oh, and I know I am already doing 12 blocks, but I am having a ball, so if you need people for a 3rd group, I'm game! :)

Melissa said...

I cut my first set of strips this morning before coffee- I had a bunch of 1" strips! Whoops! I cut 1.5" and 2" strips and trimmed after every round and so far, it has worked out ok and lots of scratching of numbers about how big each block should be after each round- but so far, so good! I think your blocks look fantastic and I personally wouldn't mind them a bit larger!

beth said...

my blocks have been sent and they were all 13" square..I put little notes on them to alert the new owners...:)

Wendy said...

Love your pink and aqua blocks! I think bigger is fine, much better than smaller... I sent mine out to my swap partners on Friday -

merumo said...

Your blocks in Pink & Aqua look great! I have finished all mine some time ago, but still all here as it is hard to say good bye to them! LOL

JRZ Jenn said...

My blocks are going out at the end of the week. I just need to get some envelopes to mail them in. :) They're done, just waiting on getting the envelopes.

You're not the only one who has had some math issues. :)

Jeanette said...

Love your blocks
I have the exact opposite problem, my blocks are all coming out 12 1/4. There were suggestions to make my outer strip bigger, but stupid me, I cut out all my fabric before I even started. *Sigh*

I came *this close* to emailing you and dropping out of the swap, but the ladies on flickr were so kind and assured me it was no big deal, so I am carrying on. I am doing one a day, and have six done so far. I really love how they look on my design wall and can't wait to get my swap blocks in the mail.

Thanks for hosting this swap, I am so excited for my finished quilt!

Related Posts with Thumbnails