3.29.2009

Happy Belated Birthday, Dr. Seuss!


In recognition of National Crafting Month (March), and in celebration of the anniversary of the birth of Dr. Seuss (March 2nd -- yah Pisces!!), Diane of Bee Square Blog suggested a Dr. Seuss-themed quilting contest.


My entry is finally complete, but it has taken me all month to get to that point! I think being busy at work, and time consuming free-pieced letters and embroidery are not a good mix! But I made it in under the wire.


My favorite parts of any Dr. Seuss book are the words. Yes, his illustrations are lovely and whimsical, but there is something about the rhymes that get me every time. My favorite of all of his books is "One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish," and mostly for the line "From Near to Far, from Here to There, Funny things are EVERYWHERE!" So true, you just have to look for them.


Free pieced letters and embroidery comprise the phrase, and I quilted the whole thing using silly shapes. I spent way too much money on a Dr. Seuss pillowcase, and ripped it apart to back the wallhanging. I had to piece a bit to get it to work, so I used one improvised block as the label. If you look closely you'll see the tag from the pillowcase on the label!


I'm not quite sure how voting will work. Entries are to be uploaded to Flickr, and the contest rules state that the five quilts with the most comments will go on to the final round of voting. My quilt is number 5, so we'll see how things go.


If you like what I've made please go here and leave a comment on the image! Thanks!

6 comments:

Pam said...

Love the quilt. Isn't it amazing how many years children have loved Dr. Seuss? I read Green Eggs and Ham to my 13 month old grandson.

~Michelle~ said...

Great work Beth - love that quilt :) Of course, my fav book is Fox in Socks

shawn said...

I LOVE what you did with the Seuss pillow case! One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish was the first book I ever read. I love that line you quoted. It just might become my very favorite!

Related Posts with Thumbnails